You’ve come this far—you’ve gotten accepted to USC! I’m sure initial thing on your mind now is ways to challenge yourself to the extent that is fullest throughout your four years as a Trojan. Ok, ok, maybe researching Honors products at USC isn’t the first thing on your to-do list (you’re busy applying for housing and ordering football seats, right?) So, we thought we would bring the information for your requirements! Here are the details on two honors options at USC: Freshman Science Honors and Thematic Option.
The Freshman Science Honors Program, or FSH, offers a rigorous yet personalized experience for first 12 months students into the natural sciences. As opposed to using the most common freshmen 12 months science courses, FSH pupils take a version that is advanced of classes that have both an inferior lecture and discussion section. This fosters a more hands-on experience in labs, more individualized attention from faculty, and a more collaborative environment amongst FSH Scholars. FSH also extends beyond the classroom, providing opportunities for field trips, guest lectures, etc.
Austin Carter, a sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences, participated in FSH and says he initially applied because he ‘was excited about dealing with a smaller group’ and ‘thrives off collaboration.’ He definitely found that teamwork through FSH: ‘Through collaborating on labs or studying for tests, our work that is hard brought together.’ He also notes that an investigation trip to Catalina ‘offered an opportunity to really get to understand one another outside the classroom setting.’ For more information, including exactly how to apply, please check out Apply for FSH . Please keep in mind that the 2013 due date is April 10th, and to royal vegas casino meet the requirements, you must be a declared science that is natural.
Thematic Option, or TO because it is known on campus, is really a system that replaces USC’s General Education curriculum by having an core curriculum that is interdisciplinary. While maybe not a humanities program per say, inside is very reading and writing intensive, so students applying to this program should be ready for this sort of rigor. If you do not LOVE reading and writing, this program is probably not for you. Like FSH, TO provides students having a smaller learning environment which allows for greater connection amongst pupils and faculty.
Aaron Brown, Associate Director of Admission, took part in TO when he was a pupil at USC. Aaron says that TO ‘became a good way to shrink this large institution to a more manageable size’ and states it provided him with a good community of like-minded students. Aaron states his favorite TO course ended up being Core 102 that he took his semester that is first of themed ‘The Hero’s Journey.’ He says one instance that stands apart is when the class invested a period that is entire just two paragraphs of Heart of Darkness. Aaron says it absolutely was a ‘wow, this is college’ moment for him. Aaron even got a trip to Disneyland from the experience during his Core 101 course when they were studying Mickey Mouse as an icon that is cultural. He notes that as a freshman brand new to LA, ‘these had been invaluable opportunities to explore this great city.’
To learn more on how to use, please visit Applying to Thematic Option . Please note that just admitted students are eligible to apply plus the deadline is April tenth.
These are only two of the many options students have for pursuing honors at USC. One could also receive departmental honors by completing a honors thesis in their senior year. Please visit the following links for home elevators other honors programs at USC: Dornsife Honors Prorgrams, Viterbi Honors, Renaissance Scholars, Global Scholars, Discovery Scholars, McNair Scholars, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship.
Don’t forget that even that you will still be receiving an invigorating and intellectually challenging education at one of the world’s premier research institutions if you do not complete any of the aforementioned programs during your time at USC, rest assured. Fight up on!
I Really Like LA!
In the next few months, recently admitted pupils, along with big waves of potential students on the spring breaks, will be visiting our campus. Because Mid-March through April is our time that is busiest for site visitors, visitors should make their reservations early. Please click on the after helpful links for information about how to sign up for a campus see:
We now have spent the last few months reading thousands of files, we are very excited to meet all of you so we are primed for some student interaction and! While I’m sure there will be plenty happening on campus, I wanted to highlight some things about this gorgeous town that I like. I’ve been living in Los Angeles for the last 9 years and you may still find things I haven’t done, but it is a personal ‘Must See’ list that I’ve put together for LA visitors. I hope you enjoy!
1) Let’s Take A Ride: For my commute that is everyday just take the Metro Expo Line to work. Since its opening in Spring 2012, USC students have now been able to just take this train to Culver City in western LA or to Downtown. You are invited by me to accomplish the same! Culver City is a great spot for restaurants, museums and theaters. If you ride the Expo Line going in the opposite way, it is possible to savor LA Live- home of the Nokia Theatre, the GRAMMY museum and several more restaurants. Right door that is next The Staples Center, where the Lakers play ( plus some other NBA group that no one caresabout). From there, you can feel free to explore the rest of Downtown LA and all sorts of it needs to offer! There are three stops near our campus it is therefore really accessible. The fare is cheapand it takes 20 minutes or less getting to either destination. Talk in regards to a smart way to avoid traffic!
2) Why see the global world, when you’ve got the BEACH!: I couldnot have a ‘Must See’ list about LA without mentioning the coastline! Venice is always popular with your visitors as a result of all of the social people watching you certainly can do. I choose less beaches that are crowded Playa or Santa Monica, but whatever you may be within the mood for, you can’t visit Los Angeles without hitting the waves!
3) Listen Up!: my own thing that is favorite Los Angeles is the quantity and variety of live music you can expose you to ultimately. We love going to big concerts at my venue that is favorite Greek Theatre, to watch musicians like Jason Mraz or Phoenix. If I do want to opt for one thing more intimate, I am able to constantly always check out up and coming singer/songwriters at places like place 5 or The Witzend.
4) An Elevated Rested Place: we had beenn’t going to consist of restaurants in this post, but this is a new favorite, so I had to help make an exception. Perch restaurant is a French inspired bistro located in one’s heart of downtown Los Angeles. It bears its name mostly you an unobstructed 360 degree view of the city because it sits on a rooftop and gives. I highly suggest taking your family here for Sunday brunch with some music that is live
5) A Lesson ever sold: Olvera Street could be the oldest component regarding the city. You need to take the Expo Line from campus and then the line that is connecting Union Station. In about 50 % an hour, you may find yourself surrounded by historic structures and a traditional style that is mexican with plenty of places to eat and shop. Spend a couple hours appreciating the beauty that is architectural studying its traditions.
I hope some of you arrive at visit many of these accepted places and tell us what you believe if you do!